|Jan. 5th, 2013 09:08 pm 13 Resolutions for 2013 - tell me what you think of them?|
I reviewed my life-plan over the new year, but I have been too busy sorting wedding stuff since then to post on LJ about it.
(I have a wedding dress now, and a wedding ring, and we will have flowers - go me!)
Anyway, I thought I would share some of my personal New Year resolutions with you....
(I also have goals for my businesses but I won't bore you with those!)
In 2013 I resolve to....
- Adopt a mostly vegetarian lifestyle (This is motivated by both environmental considerations and reducing animal cruelty). I will *only* eat meat/fish either on special occasions or when I am a guest somewhere (a situation where I feel it right to gratefully accept whatever my host provides, unless of course it is raw tomatoes – yuck!)
- Raise at least £300 for Cancer Research UK: Become a ‘ Dry-athlete’ - get sponsored to go without alcohol for a month (January) by participating in Cancer Research’s ‘Dryathlon’.
- Adopt a healthier lifestyle so that by Christmas 2013 I will weigh at least 2 stone less than I do now: December 2010 weight was 21 stone 10 pounds (my heaviest ever); December 2012 weight was 18 stone 10 pounds (so that’s 3 stone dropped so far). So I will aim to lose an average of at least a pound a fortnight this year, in order to weigh less than 16 stone 10 pounds by Christmas 2013. I would like to lose more, but I am making this goal one that I *know* that I can achieve. To do this I will choose healthier foods, eat smaller portions and go for walks at least twice a week, for at least 15 minutes each time, i.e. do at least 104 walks this year.
- Finish future-proofing my financial arrangements: This year I signed up to a funeral plan to make sure my funeral costs are covered when I die. In 2013 I will make sure I am adequately prepared for retirement/death by sorting out a will, retirement/pension-plan(s) and a sensible savings plan for the unexpected.
- Get some house re-decoration done - at least two of the following: Replace front of house sash windows with double-glazed ones, investigate improving loft insulation, re-paint study, re-paint lounge, re-paint kitchen.
- Read at least 26 books this year, by setting aside regular reading time in order to finish about one book a fortnight.
- Write at least 50 proper hand-written letters to people during the year (i.e. about one a week) - I managed one a fortnight in 2012, so I am aiming to double that.
- For my neighbours: Set-up a neighbourhood watch scheme for the people on my street.
- For Chorlton: Get more involved with Chorlton Civic Society by doing at least one of: attending some of their regular meetings, writing something for their newsletter, joining Chorlton Traders, promoting the Society to local friends etc.
- Live a more compassionate life by adopting at least 2 new habits that result in me behaving more compassionately (towards myself and/or others). To achieve this I will finish reading “12 steps to compassion” and then decide on 2 new behaviours that will make a difference.
- Look properly at setting-up the charity that I have had an idea about: finish doing my research and either go do it, or abandon the idea if it is not sensible / viable.
- Finish writing the first draft of my first book.
- Be well-prepared for the 2013 festive season, to make it as lovely as possible for everyone I am connected with: Organise cards/presents in plenty of time; hold 2 great parties (one for the whole street, and one for friends/family); help-out with community/charity events, etc.
3 comments - Leave a comment
So, what do you think? Do they look good? Will I do them all? ;-)
Oh, I did sign up for the Dryathlon (resolution 2), and I have been without drink for 5 days now..... do please sponsor me to continue? Every little helps, and seeing donations coming in really spurs me on (finding the old vino hard to resist!) and your money will go to a great cause - research to find treatments for cancer. Please donate now by clicking this link:http://www.justgiving.com/dryathlete-mary-perkins
Thank you! :-)
Oh, and best of luck with any new year resolutions you may have made. I know a great life-coach if you need help achieving them ;-)