There's something about Mary...
|Jul. 13th, 2012 06:37 pm BBC Proms Google Calendar|
Having checked with the BBC last year that no Google Calendar listing the Proms already exists, I spent a few hours creating one and listing all the Proms in it. Still no official one this year, so again I have spent a 'happy' few days putting all of this year's prom concerts in it for you.
I have made it public so that anyone that wants to can view it, add it to their chosen calendar/feed program or whatever.
Click on whichever link below suits you best :-)
I have put in basic information for each prom, in the 'description' of each calendar event. But don't forget, the BBC have produced a rather lovely Proms guide, available from all good newsagents and book shops, which contains far more information than I will ever manage to type in, so do go buy a copy.
If anyone spots any errors in what I have entered then do please drop me a tweet to let me know, to @PromsCalendar
(or send an email to me via BBCPromsCalendar AT gmail DOT com)
The links you need:
HTML - Website Address:
The address below can be used to access my BBC Proms Calendar online.
Just click on the following website address to view the Proms Google calendar in any web browser:
The address below can be used to access this BBC Proms Calendar from other calendar applications. You can copy and paste this address into any calendar product that supports the ical format.
And the address below can be used to access this BBC Proms Calendar from other applications. You can copy and paste this into any feed reader.
1 comment - Leave a comment
|Jul. 9th, 2012 06:11 pm Dreamwidth Account|
Several of my friends seem to have Dreamwidth accounts, so I thought I would create one too. LiveJournal will still be my blog of choice, though I shall endeavour to post to both.... just have to work out if Dreamwidth can integrate with social media too.2 comments - Leave a comment
If you have one, can you add me to your dreamwidth circle or whatever?
My username on Dreamwidth is the same as everywhere else, MaryRPerkins
|Jul. 7th, 2012 04:23 pm Cancer :-(|
The last month or so has been.... challenging.
Where shall we start? With my fiance, timpootle, I think
Just over a month ago he had a tumour (papillary lesion) removed from his bladder. They didn't tell us at the time if it was benign or malignant, but they pumped his bladder full of chemo drugs to kill anything remaining in the bladder lining, then sent him home to wait for an appointment with his consultant.
We saw the consultant yesterday to be told that the tumour they had removed was indeed malignant rather than benign :-(
But, the consultant said it was "the nicest possible form of cancer." - so fingers crossed it won't return in a hurry, if at all.
They will look inside Tim's bladder again in a year to check on the area, and possibly yearly after that, depending on how things look.
Trying hard to focus on the low probability of it returning, rather than on the C word.
And then there is my Dad.
I have been nagging him to go to the doctors for some time, because he has had a significantly reduced appetite and just seemed out of sorts. Finally, about a month ago, he went.
After various tests, a couple of weeks ago they did an ultrasound on his abdomen.
Yesterday, while Tim and I were with Tim's consultant in Manchester, my Dad was seeing his consultant down south.
The ultrasound had revealed that one of Dad's kidneys has been pretty much destroyed by a "fuzzy mass" (my Dad's description), the nature of which is as yet unknown.
Next steps are CT scan to get a clearer picture, and then removal of the mass along with what remains of the kidney.
At which point another appointment with his consultant will follow, and we will learn if it is a cancerous mass or not, and whether it has spread elsewhere.
Cancer is looking fairly likely though :-(
There have been several other bad things in the last 6 weeks too, but I think the things going on for Tim and my Dad are probably top of the list, and this post is long enough now anyway!
So, if you've noticed that I haven't been "firing on all cylinders" lately, my apologies. You know why now.
And I suspect that I may not be entirely sane for a little while longer, until I know more about my Dad's condition.
Big thank you to doctorstewie and johnhulls, my lovely boyfriends, who continue to be a source of strength and hugs, both for both myself and for timpootle.
Current Mood: numb17 comments - Leave a comment
|Jan. 1st, 2012 11:13 am My 2012 New Year Resolutions:|
Things I resolve to do in 2012 are:
Would love to hear what other people's resolutions are, if you feel like sharing :-)Leave a comment
- Review and re-write my life-plan (and goals) for each area of my life.
- Finish unpacking paperwork and get good system in place; and get the rest of the house more organised and presentable.
- Lose at least 3 stone in weight.
- Feel more financially secure for the long-term, with savings & retirement plan, wills, etc
- Organise our wedding and marry Tim (on October 27th).
- Complete 2 Coaching diplomas (NLP and Coaching Supervision); And achieve "Master Coach" level.
- Raise at least
£250 for charity by walking 10 miles; and also set-up the charity I want to start.
- Finish writing my first book.
- Sing with a decent choir again, and perform in at least one concert.
- Read at least 50 books (about one a week).
- Have dinner with friends at least once a month.
- Write at least 24 proper hand-written letters (i.e. 2 a month).
|Jan. 1st, 2012 10:56 am 2012 Meme|
20 good things about 2011:
- My wonderful partners, friends and family, who bring so much joy to my life.
- Tim and I celebrated having been together for 7 years.
- Tim proposed to me and I said yes!
- Went to QED con and met John.
- John :-)
- Adrian :-)
- A nephew, Luke, born in April.
- Holiday with Tim near Bewl Water in Kent / Sussex.
- Tim and I bought our first home.
- Said goodbye to the old house with a really lovely birthday party.
- The electric car project being nearly finished.
- Went to the Science Festival in Bradford.
- Living in Chorlton-cum-Hardy.
- Teaching Physics/Science/Maths/English - really rewarding work.
- Stuart :-).
- Walking 5 miles for the first time in over 10 years whilst raising over £300 for Charity.
- Finishing my Personal Performance Coaching Diploma and my Advanced Coaching Diploma (and getting a distinction in all elements of the course).
- Being a Happiness Coach - more really rewarding work.
- Singing carols round the piano with friends at our Christmas/housewarming bash.
- Getting involved with the charity “Action for Happiness”.
12 things I look forward to in 2012:
So what would your 20 and 12 things be?
- Special times with partners, friends and family throughout the year.
- Getting involved with my local community via work for the “Action for Happiness” charity, and some other groups/projects I plan to volunteer with.
- January: Posh dinner at the Lowry with Tim to celebrate being together for 8 years.
- March: Going to QED Con with John.
- March: Performing a ‘proper’ choral work with a choir, (which I haven’t done for over 10 years) and having my partners and friends in the audience.
- Continuing to walk more (as soon as the weather warms up).
- Completing my NLP Coaching Diploma and Coaching Supervision Diploma.
- Weekends away planned with Stuart and Kevin.
- August: Going to Discworld Con with Adrian.
- August: My annual birthday bash, in whatever form that takes this year.
- Getting married at the Royal Institution on October 27th, and the honeymoon.
- Hosting my first Christmas in the new house.
Happy New Year everyone :-)3 comments - Leave a comment
|Dec. 29th, 2011 01:17 pm So, how did I do with my 2011 N.Y. Resolutions?|
2011 was, overall, a far better year for me (in terms of personal achievements) than 2010 was.
And I hope that 2012 will be even better!
There are some things I didn't manage to achieve as fully as I wanted to, but I have done most of what I set out to do. And more - I did extra things that weren't on my original list, e.g. pack up all my belongings, buy a house, and move into it - this was a massive (and worthwhile) time-sink for several months (and I am still spending time on it).
So, I don't think I have done too badly in 2011, though of course I will aim to do better next year - but then I always have that aim! ;-)
Anyway, below is the list of things I said I would do, with my comments on how far I achieved them:
( Click here to Read more...Collapse )
4 comments - Leave a comment
|Nov. 16th, 2011 03:08 pm I plan to walk 5 miles! Sponsor me?|
1 comment - Leave a comment
For most of the past 11 years (due to C.F.S / M.E.) I have been unable to walk more than half a mile. But, over the last few months I have been slowly walking more and more, so I have set myself a challenge:
On Saturday 26th November I plan to walk 5 miles to raise money for the charity Shelter. I really think I can do it! :-)
So, please show me your support by clicking on the picture above and donating money to Shelter, the homelessness charity (particularly needed at this time of year, but they do great work all year round).
Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving – they’ll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they’ll send your money directly to the charity and make sure Gift Aid is reclaimed on every eligible donation by a UK taxpayer. So it’s the most efficient way to donate - I raise more, whilst saving time and cutting costs for the charity.
So please dig deep and donate now.
Thank you so very much,
ps Follow @MaryRPerkins on Twitter for live updates on my walking progress on the day. Or click through to Endomondo (via my profile page on facebook) to see the map of where I am walking being generated live as I walk!
|Oct. 15th, 2011 02:21 pm Web host ideas?|
Thinking of changing my web hosting. Currently using Easily but they are disappointing me. Recommendations?4 comments - Leave a comment
|Oct. 8th, 2011 07:08 pm New house stuff|
So, just a quickie to say that we have moved into the new house and given back the keys to the old place.2 comments - Leave a comment
If you want the new address, and haven't had it already from me somehow (check facebook events, and your postbox), then just drop me a text (telling me who you are just in case I don't recognise your number) to 07751 696 055.
I have just posted the address in a locked post on Live Journal, but if you are somehow not on my friends list (or don't do LJ) then you won't be able to see it.
All going well. Utter chaos and surrounded by boxes still, but I can see several areas of carpet now!
And we have sofas that fit in the lounge. And I have a singing washing machine, and a milkman, and a window-cleaner, and a local free paper - these things are all very exciting to me :-)
And yes we will probably have a house-warming at some point, but if you came now you would have to help unpack, and put up curtains etc, so we will wait a little while before having one I think.
Oh, and if you can't wait for the house-warming and decide to drop in for a cuppa (and please text first in case I will be teaching) then do knock loudly - we don't have a doorbell.... yet!
More later. Love and hugs to all. xx
|Aug. 22nd, 2011 07:59 am A bit of Mary life news|
Morning all, 20 comments - Leave a comment
I haven't wanted to say anything sooner just in case, but....
Tim and I are buying our first home! :-)
Hoping to exchange contracts at the end of this week and complete (and get the keys) the following week.
We are buying a 3 bed end terrace in leafy Chorlton-cum-Hardy in Manchester.
It is a lovely part of Manchester, and a lovely house. I couldn't be happier.
A massive downsize after renting the mansion that is Peters Croft so I have had to part with lots of possessions that I am sad to see go. But it will be great to own our own home, and to be back in Chorlton.
Just keeping my fingers crossed that the next 2 weeks go smoothly. And also spending every spare moment packing (as well as getting ready for my birthday bash this weekend - are you coming? Last chance to camp in my garden!)
So. Yeah. Moving. New house! Wish us luck :-)
Back a Page - Forward a Page